Friday, July 18, 2014

"The G-Reps that they give you they say are really fun...

But when they start their slideshow, people turn and run! Ooooooh I don't wanna go to Deer Park Camp! Gee, Mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go! Gee, Mom, I wanna go hoo-ooo-ooome"
#symbolicallyhugginginanimateobjects


Ah, Deer Park, you've been good to me.
Senior High Camp was a blessing. I can't believe it's already been a week since I've been there.  It's hard for a campground other than my own to feel like home, but DP definitely felt that way after two weeks of being there!

I counseled, kayaked, lifeguarded, taught classes, led campfire, and enjoyed fellowshipping with some fantastic youth and staff. Shout out to Alyshia Newhart for being a kick-butt director and to the ladies of Cabin Thirteen! Love you guys.
Aren't they beautiful?? Check out Jackie's AWESOME shirt ;)

We began our week as staff in prayerful meditation walking through the labyrinth. It was built by the Junior High and Senior Highs a couple years back with the help of my good friend Lisa Prosser-Dodds. She's kind of amazing. It was neat to be back on her old stomping grounds after working for she and her husband Tim last summer at Happy Valley Conference Center.



We tackled tough conversations about poverty and stewardship, feminism, and humanizing the twelve apostles, and the Senior High were phenomenal. Some of the finest young adults I've ever met. COC is in good hands with these kids.

Highlights of the week:

  • Kayaking on the lake three days with Glenn Abbott and Justin Paulson
  • Having late night chats with my co-counselor, Megan, and the lovely women of Cabin Thirteen: Sera, Rachel, Erica, Jackie, and Emily. 
  • Hanging with GU Friends Jacob Soltis, Jade Gomez, Nicholas White, Serra Ritner, Becca Ferguson, and Brooke Lavery
  • Teaching a class on poverty and stewardship
  • A break with my Pennsylvania family, the Vogelsangs, to chat and do laundry
  • Scott "the Hulk" Lavery's legendary canoe rescue, complete with a ridiculous grunting noise described as "majestic" by one camper
  • Improv night with Becca Ferguson and Kara Vojcsik 
Josh, also sporting a fine shirt, won a pizza!

  • Experiencing Philly with Laura, Brooke, and Mike Lavery (complete with a tearful airport goodbye to Laura and Brooke)

No comments:

Post a Comment